Monday, September 06, 2010

Yorktown, Aug. 15th Part 1.






















Rather than spend an unpleasant day at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, I decided I needed to visit some more Colonial sights. Previously, in Oct. '07, I had been to George Mason's house and Mt. Vernon, so it was time to see Yorktown. Aug. 15th just so happened to be "free admission to National Parks day" in the US. I drove out there and did the whole thing.

I think these blogs limit my pic. uploads so I'll do six now, and some more later. Note the Canons on the English side, the holes (and even cannonbals embedded) at the Nelson House (Cornwallis stayed there during the seige) which had been, um, placed there by Washington's (and really RoShamBo's ) army at high speed from a mile and some change away!, the Victory memorial, the ORIGINAL tent Washington used during the seige, an English Bess musket (they claim it had a broken stock when the English soldier threw it down infrustration during the surrender ceremony, but I couldn't see it for the life of me) and a canon in one of the ships in the naval battle - I forgot which side... The French were heavily invovled in the seige with the Colonials and really managed the sea blockade as well... We owe them heavily for this decisive victory. Oh, they had their reasons, too, but it suited us both quite well....












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home